Visiting Undergraduate Research Students

Once a year the Department of Civil Engineering welcomes visiting students from other universities or institutes. Visiting students must be registered at UBC as a Visiting International Research Student (VIRS). A Visiting International Research Student (VIRS) is an international student who is enrolled in an undergraduate, graduate, or graduate-equivalent program at another university, or is a participant in a UBC-recognized (through Go Global) “bridging” program between undergrad and graduate studies.

UBC Campus - Autumn
Photo Credit: Leiz Gagnon

Eligibility for Admissions

  • A plan to conduct research only at UBC for one month or longer (maximum 12-months)
  • Home supervisor approval of research activity at UBC
  • Host UBC supervisor approval (UBC faculty member who has agreed to act as supervisor through research period at UBC)
  • Prior approval of the home university or sponsoring program
  • Prior approval of the UBC Department Head for the unit or laboratory with which the visiting research student will be affiliated.

For more information please visit: Go Global - Visiting International Research Student (VIRS)