Undergraduate Advisors

Key Contacts

Academic advising is shared between the Department of Civil Engineering and the Engineering Student Services (ESS) office.  Your key contacts for academic advising, depending on the nature of your enquiries (see below), are as follows:

  • Your Faculty Advisor as follows: Dr. Nahzat for 2nd year, Dr. Haukaas for 3rd year, and Dr. Adebar for 4th year – see contact details below
  • Kali Dumbrell, Undergraduate Support: undergradsupport@civil.ubc.ca, CEME 2005
  • ESS: 1100 - 2332 Main Mall (first floor of the Fred Kaiser Building across from Starbucks)

[Note: Dr. Berube, Associate Head, has overall responsibilities for Academic Advising, but is usually contacted by the Faculty Advisors and by Undergraduate Support as necessary re. special cases and final approvals.]

Areas of Responsibility

You should contact Civil Engineering or the ESS for advising topics as follows:

Civil Engineering – Undergraduate Support:

  • Registration issues in Civil Engineering courses
  • Interpreting your Degree Navigator report

Civil Engineering – Faculty Advisor:

  • Program Requirements
  • Coursework Planning
  • Off-cycle degree planning
  • Meeting course prerequisites
  • Selection of Technical Electives
  • General information about the discipline and the profession


  • First Year Engineering program at UBC
  • Complementary studies electives (humanities and social sciences component) requirements
  • Registration in APSC courses
  • Academic accommodation / academic concession, if unresolved at the instructor level, see also statement below
  • Exchange programs, transfer credits and credit equivalencies
  • Registration in supplemental exams
  • Application for deferred exams

Course Planning

Coursework Plan. You are advised to establish and maintain a coursework plan to assure your timely completion of all degree requirements.  In order to do so, download a coursework plan form here.  Please bring your updated plan with you whenever you meet your advisor.  Try to develop and update your coursework plan in the following manner:

  • Try to adhere to the normal course sequence (STT's) as much as possible – otherwise scheduling and prerequisite restrictions will lead to a longer time to graduate and to inefficient course loads.
  • Otherwise, when considering specific courses:
  • examine course schedules here to assure no course conflicting
  • examine course prerequisites within course calendar descriptions here

Degree Navigator. This provides an alternative approach to tracking your progress towards completion of all degree requirements, and represents the formal approach to assure that your requirements have been met.

Meeting with your Faculty Advisor

If you wish to meet with your Faculty Advisor, please proceed as follows:

  • First, review the Department's websites on course registrations and on FAQ to see if your question can be readily addressed.
  • Email you Faculty Advisor to set up an appointment or to pose your query.  Please use a well structured e-mail that includes your name, student number and program year
  • At your meeting, please bring copies of (i) your updated coursework plan (to the extent that you can develop this) and (ii) your most recent academic record

Tips for Academic Success

  • Time Management
    • Avoid too many courses in one term
    • Avoid a job that takes excessive time
    • Balance your time reasonably between coursework and your personal / social life
  • Professionalism & Communication
    • At all times assure professional conduct in your courses and in your interactions with faculty, staff and students
    • Respect all course deadlines, building in a buffer to the extent that you are able
    • Assure a high standard of e-mail communication in your interactions with faculty
  • Exams
    • Develop an exam strategy (e.g. time management, distribution of effort between courses, allocate suitable preparation time for each course)
    • Review / practice sample assignments, quizzes and exams to the extent that you are able
    • Avoid travel arrangements until you know the exam schedule

Academic Accommodation and Academic Concession

Students facing academic difficulties with respect to completion of courses and to progress in the program may be able to rely on two kinds of approach and associated resources as follows:

  • Academic accommodation.  Students with a disability may apply for academic accommodation through the Centre for Accessibility.
  • Academic concession.  Otherwise, students may be able to be granted academic concession under certain circumstances.  See the Department's corresponding statement here.