Master of Engineering (MEng)

The Master of Engineering in Civil Engineering (MEng) program is a non-thesis, course-based graduate program in Civil Engineering, and is available in the following areas of specialization:

• Environmental Systems Engineering
• Geotechnical Engineering
• Hydrotechnical Engineering
• Project & Construction Management
• Structural & Earthquake Engineering
• Transportation Engineering

Note that the specialization does not appear on the degree parchment or on the transcript.

Successful completion of the MEng degree requires the completion of 30 credits of coursework, subject to various constraints and requirements as provided below. For further information, please contact the Civil Engineering Graduate Support Office.

University Policies and Regulations

All students should be aware of the relevant campus-wide Policies and Regulations within the University Calendar, including the Statement on Academic Freedom.  They should also be aware of the relevant University Policies, giving particular attention to: Policy 85 - Scholarly Integrity; Policy 87 - Research; Policy 88 - Patents and Licensing; and Policy 97 - Conflict of Interest.

Coursework Requirements

The MEng Program requires completion of at least 30 credits of coursework beyond the Bachelor’s degree.  The 30 credits are subject to the following requirements:

  • 500 level courses.  A minimum of 24 credits of graduate level courses (numbered 5XX) must be completed, of which at least 12 credits must be in Civil Engineering (labeled CIVL 5XX).
  • CIVL 597.  All students are required to register once at the start of term 1 in the appropriate section of CIVL 597 Graduate Seminar (1 credit, Pass/Fail mark); however, they are encouraged to attend the seminar series (without subsequent registration) throughout their time in the program.
  • CIVL 592.  A maximum of 6 credits may be taken through CIVL 592 Directed Studies.
  • CIVL 598.  A maximum of 6 credits may be taken through CIVL 598 Topics in Civil Engineering.  (These are courses that have not yet been approved by the University Senate.)
  • 300/ 400 Level Courses.  A maximum of 6 credits of 300 or 400 level courses may be taken. (Approval of undergraduate electives is not guaranteed; please consult your Specialty Advisor.)
  • 100/200 Level Courses.  100/200 level courses may not be used for credit towards the MEng program.
  • Specialization Requirements.  Coursework requirements specific to each area of specialization must be satisfied and may be found under Areas of Specialization.

Students are required to obtain approval of their course selection from their Specialty Advisor.  

Coursework Regulations

Coursework Plan.  Prior to registering in any courses, all MEng students are required to secure the approval of a Coursework Plan by the Specialty Advisor.  The student should initially develop a draft plan that lists the proposed courses and schedule, taking account of course availability (not all courses are offered every year) and term in which they are given (see Course Schedule), and may take account of prior courses, core course substitutions and elective course selections in the manner indicated below.  This will assure adherence to course credit requirements, coursework regulations, an appropriate course load and selection, and no scheduling conflicts.

Minimum Course Marks.  A minimum of 68% is required in each course used for credit. However, a maximum of 6 credits with grades between 60 and 67% may be accepted for credit, if the candidate has an average greater than or equal to 68% in all coursework. Supplemental examinations are not granted to graduate students: a course in which a grade of less than 60% is obtained may be repeated for a higher standing, subject to approval of the Department. A student who obtains a grade of less than 68% in more than 6 credits will normally be required to withdraw for inadequate academic progress.

Prior Courses and Transfer Credit.  Transfer credit arrangements for the MEng degree correspond to those indicated by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (see Transfer Credit).  These allow students to transfer up to 12 credits of coursework taken prior to or after admission to the current program, subject to certain constraints.  The courses cannot have been used to satisfy the requirements of another credential; they cannot have been used as a basis for admission to the current program; they must have been taken within five years of admission to the current program; and a standing of a least 74% must be obtained in the relevant courses.  For clarity, transfer credits may be applied to all courses used for credit in the current program, including CIVL 500-level courses, but not for CIVL 597, and need not entail exact course equivalencies.  Students requesting transfer credit, including advanced credit from prior studies, should consult the Specialty Advisor upon entry or prior to registering in affected courses; the Special Advisor may so recommend to the Graduate Advisor for written approval.

Core Course Substitutions.  A Core Course may be substituted by an elective course if the equivalent course has already been taken.

Selection of Elective Courses.  Elective Courses may be selected from the list of Approved Elective Courses for the relevant specialization, CIVL 592 (which needs to be arranged with a particular instructor), a relevant CIVL 598 section (if available) and/or other courses including 300/400 level undergraduate courses and courses outside Civil Engineering.  However, beyond the Approved Elective Courses, the final selection of elective courses requires the approval of the Specialty Advisor, typically at the time of Coursework Plan approval.  At all times, Department-wide course credit requirements and constraints need to be strictly adhered to.

Part-Time Status, Leaves of Absence and Program Duration

MEng students are normally considered full-time, but may apply for part-time status, and/or may apply for leaves of absence during their programs.  (Such changes in status may impact the level of tuition fees charged.)  In particular, MEng students may be granted a leave during the summer session when they do not register in courses.  In any event, the program must be completed within 5 years of initial registration.

Financial Support

MEng students are not eligible for awards or financial aid administered by the Faculty of Graduate and Postgraduate Studies, nor for financial support made available through the Department of Civil Engineering.  The sole exception is that MEng students may apply for Teaching Assistantships within the Department (see Funding); however a very limited number of TA appointments are directed to MEng students.

Degree Application

Upon the completion of program requirements, a MEng candidate must apply for graduation and thereafter inform the Civil Engineering Graduate Support Office.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Students are responsible for ensuring that their program registration is complete, that all fees have been paid and that they meet all coursework requirements for the program. If you have any questions of clarification please contact the Civil Engineering Graduate Support Office.